That Obscure Object of Desire
Friday, March 20 - Sunday, March 22, 2020
As terrorists bomb Seville, worldly Mathieu Faber (Fernando Rey) boards the Paris train, promptly dumping a bucket of water on a young woman trying to board. As his fellow passengers look on aghast, Faber proceeds to explain “the worst of all women.” Faber’s encounter with his maid Conchita (Carole Bouquet, Angela Molina), who will never allow him to consummate his passion, is made doubly bizarre by Buñuel’s matter of fact casting of two actresses; and by the lack of reaction from Faber and the rest of the cast to their seeming interchangeability.
Screening as part of our Winter 2020 series, “Weekend Classics: Luis Buñuel.”
- Country France/Spain
- Language In French with English subtitles.
- Year 1977
- Accessibility Assistive Listening, T-Coil
- Running Time 103 minutes
- Director Luis Buñuel
- Writer Luis Buñuel, Jean-Claude Carriere
- Cinematographer Edmond Richard
- Cast Fernando Rey, Carole Bouquet, Angela Molina